COMMON QUESTIONS FROM MARYLAND NOTARIES
Welcome to our FAQ section to serve both current and prospective students. You should find all the answers to your questions here, but let us know if that’s not the case and we’ll happily help out.
Notaries make a difference in peoples lives and the value of training is to help you succeed
1. How much can a Maryland notary charge for mileage?
The 2023 fee for mileage is 65.5 (.655) cents per mile.
2. How much can a Maryland notary charge for travel?
There is a flat rate $5 travel fee if you drive from point A to point B to meet your client to provide notary services.
3. Can you use a passport for ID when you submit your notary application?
You cannot use a passport as a valid ID to submit with your notary application. It has to be a drivers license with proof of your Maryland address.
4. How can I become a Notary Signing Agent in Maryland?
In Maryland, this is called a Title Insurance Producer Independent Contractor (TIPIC) - you have to take a pre-licensing course and pass a state exam to get your license and this is managed by the Maryland Insurance Administration.
5. Can you sign as a witness and notarize on the same document.
You should not sign as a witness and notarize on the same page of a document, this could be interpreted as you are notarizing your own signature.
6. Do I-9 forms require notarization?
I-9 forms do not require notarization. HOWEVER, some companies do include a separate acknowledgement form with the I-9 documents that can be notarized to verify the ID being used. This document can be recorded in your log book as a completed notarization.
7. Can you be a certified signing agent in Maryland.
If you do not have a title insurance producer license, you should refrain from notarizing real estate documents.
8.How much can you charge for notarizations in Maryland.
If you charge for notarizations when doing general notary work, you can charge up to $6 per original notarial act when you place your notary stamp on a document. If you are doing a remote online notarization (RON), you may charge up to $25 per notarial act.
9. Can you notarize your own documents?
You cannot notarize documents for yourself.
10. Does Notary Training Network offer signing agent training.
Notary Training Network does not currently offer pre-licensing training to be a TIPIC. You can find a list of the current course providers HERE.
11. Where can I get more info on notary requirements from the Secretary of State?
More FAQ's for notaries in Maryland directly from the Secretary of State can be found HERE.