• Michol Bobb

Notary Signing Agent vs Title Insurance Producer Independent Contractor

Both require an exam and some states don't recognize the "Notary Signing Agent" title (like Washington, D.C.)

There are a lot of entities teaching notaries how to make a living by doing loan closings as a Notary Signing Agent. Have you ever wondered if companies are preying on notaries by using the terms “Notary Signing Agent” as a marketing ploy? Notaries already see this when they get fake assignment requests through emails. Some notaries even complain about paying to be listed on directories promising lots of work only to not receive any calls.

If you have a conversation with someone working in the industry, you might hear things along the lines of there isn’t always enough work to go around and hire independent notaries to contract assignments to. Or even, some companies don’t want to hire independent notaries to do assignments because they lack professionalism or customer service skills. COVID might change that though as lots of people are refinancing on their homes currently to take advantage of the lower interest rates.

Just like they have social media groups for notaries to talk about companies they don’t want to work for, they also have networking groups where industry folks talk about why they don’t want to hire notaries.

It’s not always a one size fits all approach, what works in one part of the country may not work in another part of the country. Networking is about building relationships and that’s how you make the connections to get assignments that might otherwise get contracted out to random notaries that are not even in your local area. If that doesn’t motivate you, I don’t know what else will.

If you are required to have a Title Producer License, having just a Notary Signing Agent certification might not even matter or it could also help you to stand out from the next notary. TIPIC’s (Title Insurance Producer Independent Contractors) are not required to carry a bond because they don’t work for a company directly.

If you are a Maryland notary, interested in doing real estate closings, you should invest to get your Title Producer License first. You would be referred to as a Licensed Title Producer and not just a Notary Signing Agent because most Title Producers do real estate closings in house.

Happy Stamping,


3545 Ellicott Mills Dr.
Ellicott City, MD 21043

©2020 by Notary Training Network